Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rule of thumb...

I've been noticing a lot of email coming my way from "A&R" reps. My reaction is at best... very terse.   If you think you have any interest in my music, please do not insult my intelligence by telling me that "I" must pay you for me to be one of your "artists".  Don't bother to flatter me because I've been down this road with a record label.. and all the money I sent to release "The Journey"... was a rip off.  And really, I bet you a million dollars you have not taken the time to actually SIT down and listen to the "said tracks" you like.

I suppose these guys think I am so desperate to have me placed on THIER  roster.. for what $300- $5000 dollars? I've been taken advantage of my good nature in the past, not anymore. Here is an interesting blog post about writers called Yog's Law... it should be applied to musicians...

Thanks to Bradley Momberger for alerting me to this simple, excellent, but effective way of thinking. (click on Yog's Law, an article on How Publishing REALLY Works.

Yog's Law

 Basically, it says: Money flows towards the writer 

This same idea should be applied to Musicians:   Money flows towards the musician

Its brilliant... its simple, whats not to get about that?

When you read this blog entry.. just replace writer with musician.  If anyone approaches you saying "Oh hey, your music is great, lets sign you up to get you on BMI... etc etc etc... these guys are trying to "divert the money away from the musician... money flows towards the musician".

I refuse to have my money diverted away from myself...

Money flows towards the musician.... 

2 comments:

LC said...

Thanks for sharing Yog's Law...

TeamCar said...

Thanks for dropping by Lester! As always, each musician has a choice of where they want to upload their music!

All my best!

k