Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ruminations...

I am basking in the afterglow of the performance in Dana Point. I stayed in San Clemente from Thursday evening till Monday morning. Most of us were at the rehearsal on Thursday evening. Which went really well. Dov and I did more rehearsing on Friday morning. All of these guys are characters in their own right. Was fun seeing each one's personality blend in with the synergy that was going on.

Saturday's rehearsal was so incredible. It was hard to concentrate because I was listening to what everyone was doing on my music, and I really need to pay more attention!!

The whole weekend was a blur of music, eating, talking, silliness, friendship, synergy, stress, patience, blonde moments, cooking Om-letes, watching the sunset, reading, learning, re-learning, forgetting.. etc!! I could go on.


Highlight of the weekend:

During Jeff Oster's set, playing the Improv Jam in A minor, I cut myself loose on the piano.. and when I looked up everyone on stage was looking at me and smiling at me... lol. I was like " uh oh.. what did I do wrong?" LOL... and when I looked at them.. they all smiled back at me and nodded in encouragement. I still think about that and still wonder about it.. maybe I was out of tune! hahah.

Working with Scott August, Dov, John Luttrell, Jeff Oster as well as our back up Bass player Robert Murray and drummer Russ Sedat, was a trip. The synergy with all of us was excellent. It was an honor to be on stage with all of them.

Oh yes.. and I had the in-ear monitoring system with me this year. WHAT a huge difference. SOUND crew.. you rock.. thank you very much for your willingness to work with me on making the mix sound good in my ears so that I could hear myself.

Deej did a fantastic job of putting it all together. Deej.. you should be VERY proud of what you were able to accomplish!


Room for Improvement:

pffft... always room for improvement. I think the most problematic thing for me was making sure I had the synths/keys I was using in everyone's set written down!!!! I had some of them written in.. but some of them I did not.. so I was not happy with myself about that. ALSO.. if I use the Korg again for the Schmooze.. I need to have a folder on the hard drive with all the songs with the sounds programmed in. I should have taken the time to do that. Making a mental note to myself of to make sure to write down everything I do, etc etc etc.

In Ear monitoring is so different sounding than the actual mix. Making mental notes to remember that and not be so hard on myself.

Korg's bi polar pedal settings!!!! I had to keep resetting the global settings to make sure the pedal was the opposite setting of its default settings.

Overall Ruminations:

I loved every minute of the concert. It went by like a blur..because we all were having such a GREAT time. I look forward to more performances.

More to come...

No comments: