Monday, February 9, 2009

Musical Stories


I am listening to the Best of 2008 by Mystic Soundscapes. While listening, I felt inspired to write about a song I wrote when I was 14. It is called Nez Perce.

When I was in Junior High just yesterday, I saw a movie called "I Will Fight No More Forever". It is about the Nez Perce Nation in the Wallowa Valley. The US Government in their need for land grabbing, forced the Nation out of their home. Chief Joseph's goal was to go to Canada and continue their long and rich tradition of living their lives. Unfortunately the tribe did not make it to Canada.. except for a few. Their story touched my young heart and I felt I needed to express my feelings about their saga. I wrote the piano part long ago, then 2 years ago, I acquired a Native American flute in Blanding, UT. After a year of learning the flute, I bought another Native Flute from Stephen DeRuby.

To build the song, I put down keyboard tracks, and then I went into Sonikwire Studios to record the flute parts. That was last summer in July. I then sent the song to Jeff Silverman for him to mix and do the sound design for it. It is going through more mixing at Imaginary Road Studios in Vermont.

This song has taken a long journey to get to this point of expression. I hope you enjoy listening to the rough mix of it.. and continue to watch for the final mixes.

More to come...

No comments: