Tuesday, April 22, 2008

After Concert Reflections...


Well.. the last two performances at the Spectrum.. I froze. This time.. it seemed I was more chilled and my fingers hurt from being so cold. Let me back up.. I need to talk about earlier in the day before Heath and I performed together.

Saturday morning, we got up, got showered and dressed to go pick up Heath at the LA airport. Anyone that knows me, knows that I absolutely HATE to drive in LA or go near LA. The traffic really bites. I really had my expectations set really low. I thought it would take us forever to get to the airport. We got there in record time!! I asked my husband earlier in the week if he would drive us. He said he would. Heath.. I must really think alot about your talents and our friendship in order to get near LAX! lol. Muahhahaha.. as you would say.

We got there just as he was at the baggage claim and found him. He is so young! hehehe. I must be getting wiser or something. ;) Heath is funny, gracious and full of ideas for what he wants to accomplish in his life, musically. We were trying to find the way to the Hollywood sign.. but instead found Griffith Park. Its packed in LA...which I knew already.. but had a great time trying to find it. Heath got to see the sign tho, but decided to go to OC and have lunch at Tortilla Flats in our home town of Mission Viejo. It was fun! Nice and un-rushed eating. The restaurant is situated on the edge of Lake Mission Viejo. It was a cloudy day.. and it was cooler than normal. NOT a good sign for concert night.

We brought Heath to our home, our kids were really excited to meet him. Our seven year old was funny with Heath. He gave him this string he had to remember him by! lol. Funny little guy. He was asking Heath 20 questions and wanted to give him a tour of his room. The rest of the clan was outside playing. Heath and I started rehearsing together and it was SO much fun to be able to play with another musician in our genre. He truly has amazing technique and his composing is amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on his new CD "SoulFire". The CD artwork is very lovely. He told me his friend Tania is doing the design work for it. We played together on his song "Rapture"... and it was an amazing thing. I on my little Irish Pennywhistle and Heath on our piano. We decided we'd play that as our finale.

Then it was time to head for the Spectrum. I must say, they need a gig manager of some sort.. to help direct the musicians to the staging area. I will applaud the maintenance crew. Table and chairs, as well as lighting was not to be found. I called them.. and immediately they came and took care of it.. including a table cloth. The venue is outdoors and so it was cold. I was not happy with the way the weather turned. Not alot of people were milling around. Too chilly. BUT we did have a few come and sit and listen.. lots of children coming and dancing around during Heath's set, and mine. I'll leave it to Heath to talk about it. :)

I really didn't do my best, I think it was because I am in the midst of my 3rd CD.. and felt pulled from my creative self to rehearse and perform. I really didn't like that at all. So I think I was disconnected from playing my best.. course I am always harder on myself than I should.

As the hours flew by... I became colder. My core temperature was making me shiver. My toes were cold, my legs and fingers did not feel happy with warmth. Poor Heath did not have a heavier coat, so my husband went to a nearby Target and got us handwarmers, and he bought me some hot chocolate, and purchased a very light jacket for Heath. ( nothing heavier was available). We still froze. By the time 9pm rolled around, Heath had had enough.. so had I. I was shaking with cold even tho I had a turtle neck on and my wool pea coat on. ( I am SUCH a big wimp!!!!! )


We were STARVING after we loaded up the KoriTunes.com van! heheh. I have this decal on the back of our van and it says: www.koriTunes.com. So Heath got to ride in the official KoriTunes.com van hehehe. Anyway, we took Heath to In and Out Burgers. It was SO nice to eat something HOT. I didn't have french fries but everyone else did. For those of you in CA, you KNOW how yummy those burgers are... ahhhh yumm!

Sorry this is so long.. I've been thinking about what I could say that would be descriptive enough.. but I have never been good at writing words. Summary: We had a great time. It went too fast. We will play again and invite musicians from our genre to come and perform with us. It would be SO much fun to have a group of us play at the Spectrum. OH and it wasn't crowded. The weather was bad enough to keep people in-doors. Thanks to those that did show up. We had a few people from Second Life come out to the show. THAT was a lot of fun.

I am reluctant to say, I won't be performing until "Trillium" is out. I have a heavy next 6 months to finish things up. I just can't perform well when I am so distracted. I will keep you informed about what I am doing.

Kudos to Heath!!!! Good luck to you my friend with the release of "SoulFire". And to all of that are so supportive of my music.. I thank you. AND to my musical friends that are guests on my CD.. thank you so much for contributing your musical souls to my music. Life is seriously cool.

Peace in Music,

Kori

No comments: